The city of Madrid is a hidden gem in the Cundinamarca department of Colombia. Often overshadowed by its famous namesake in Spain, Madrid, Colombia is a unique destination that offers visitors a chance to experience authentic Colombian culture and natural beauty. Here are some of the top things to see and do in Madrid, Cundinamarca:
1. National Park Chingaza: This stunning national park is a must-visit for nature lovers. You can hike through the mountains, spot wildlife, and even camp under the stars.
2. Salt Cathedral of Zipaquirá: Located just a short drive from Madrid, the Salt Cathedral is a breathtaking underground church built inside a salt mine. It’s a truly unique architectural wonder and a must-see for any visitor to the region.
3. La Candelaria Waterfall: This beautiful waterfall is located just outside of Madrid and is a popular spot for swimming and picnicking.
4. Plaza de la Cruz: This charming town square is the heart of Madrid. It’s surrounded by quaint shops and restaurants, making it the perfect place to relax and soak up the local atmosphere.
5. Local Cuisine: Madrid is known for its delicious food, including traditional Colombian dishes like ajiaco soup and empanadas. Be sure to try some of the local specialties while you’re in town.
Whether you’re a nature lover, history buff, or foodie, Madrid, Cundinamarca has something to offer everyone. Don’t miss out on this hidden gem in the heart of Colombia!